Flags naturally evoke feelings of pride, loyalty, and unity. No wonder every country is identified by their national flag, or why a country's national flag flies prominently over government buildings and monuments. The national flag is so revered by citizens that in most countries it is illegal to burn the flag, and it shouldn't even touch the ground.
In China, the daily raising and lowering of the flag at Tiananmen Square is a point of national pride. Every day at sunrise (and the opposite at sunset), people crowd closely to watch the military members' precise motions and movements in unfolding the Chinese flag and swiftly pulling the chains to raise it high into the air. As the national flag reaches the top of the flag pole, the bystanders stand in awe as feelings of respect and reverence wash over them. (I must admit that I too felt these feelings after watching the flag raising at Tiananmen - and I'm not even Chinese!)
While living in China, I've often caught myself automatically taking pictures of the national flag. It feels like whenever the flag is waving, it is a picture-perfect moment. Here are a few such moments:
And even though I love taking pictures of Chinese flags, I love the "Stars and Stripes Forever." My friends and I found an American flag and had a fun photo shoot this summer. I was SOOO excited to see an American flag -- I think it was the first one I've seen since being here.... must admit though, it made me a little homesick. Once again, it comes back to the national pride and unity that a flag naturally evokes. Looking forward to being home and seeing all American flags again soon!

